RFID key fob car theft in under 30 seconds

Last updated on 1 month ago
danielhowell
danielhowell Posted 1 month ago
There's just been a piece on the One Show (BBC1 19:00 25/5/17) about thieves who use some clever electronics to amplify the signal between a car key fob. This makes the car believe that the key is close to the car thereby allowing the thieves to enter and start the car.

Just wondering whether some sort of Faraday cage contraption (to put the key fob in) might stop this crime? (Disclaimer, I last studied physics in 1975 (and then only to 'O' level) so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.)
Chaim
Chaim Posted 1 month ago
I saw it too. My keyless car unlocks the door when the key is within 1 metre, but won't start unless the key is inside the vehicle. Don't know any other keyless owners, but I wonder if this is any protection from driving away.
Keys are kept well inside the house, not in the entrance hall. Again unsure how far away is safe.
They seem to target brand new cars, presumably for spares, as replacing the entire security system must cost, or does it?
Faraday cage seems good idea though.
Ezekiel
Ezekiel Posted 1 month ago

Chaim wrote:

@Chaim - I saw it too. My keyless car unlocks the door when the key is within 1 metre, but won't start unless the key is inside the vehicle. Don't know any other keyless owners, but I wonder if this is any protection from driving away.
Keys are kept well inside the house, not in the entrance hall. Again unsure how far away is safe.
They seem to target brand new cars, presumably for spares, as replacing the entire security system must cost, or does it?
Faraday cage seems good idea though.

Once inside the vehicle, and with access to the EOBD port, those of a nefarious type *may* be able to code in a blank key they bring with them by using illicit software designed for precisely this purpose. Some manufacturers have released software updates to try to prevent this backdoor.
danielhowell
danielhowell Posted 1 month ago
I have remote unlock (nothing new there) but it doesn't unlock just by being near. It does however have keyless start (so did my dad's 1950s Ford Prefect), but once started it will stay running if I leave the car with the fob and it can be driven away without the fob being present.
Chaim
Chaim Posted 1 month ago

danielhowell wrote:

@danielhowell - I have remote unlock (nothing new there) but it doesn't unlock just by being near. It does however have keyless start (so did my dad's 1950s Ford Prefect), but once started it will stay running if I leave the car with the fob and it can be driven away without the fob being present.

Yeah, this can prove a little problematic at times. I once dropped my parents off at a restaurant then went to park the car, some distance away. Having parked, I found that I then didn't have the keys to lock the door, they were in my dad's pocket. I had to walk back to the restaurant, get the keys, go back to the car, lock the car, then go back to the restaurant again.
Ezekiel
Ezekiel Posted 1 month ago
Having watched the video Interesting that the method they are using is to boost (or retransmit..think repeat) the signal to fool the keyless system into thinking the key is closer to the car than it is.
The suggestion given was find a place where the key doesn't work from inside the home, but I think that is **** advice as if the signal is being repeated that is pointless.

Better to put keys in a metal box (perhaps a key box) to prevent RF by virtue of faraday cage.
thatduct
thatduct Posted 1 month ago
Remotes and Keys is commited to sourcing the best quality parts possible. We carry both OEM and replacement products. Obviously the OEM items will be the exact same as if it was bought at the dealership parts counter. The replacement "Generic" items are sourced from factories whose products are far superior to the cheap items you'll find on amazon, ebay, and competitor sites. All remotes are tested on Santronics Keyless Entry Testers before they are shipped to you. Many remotes are checked on other kinds of keyless entry testers besides the Santronics. If you want to know more details please visit here [url=www.remotesandkeys.com]remote start key fob replacement[/url]
last edited by thatduct on 13-09-2019 11:38
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Users who participated in discussion:thatduct, danielhowell, Ezekiel, Chaim